This month at Horizon Engineering Associates, LLP, we're talking about...
How much should commissioning services cost?
Commissioning costs can vary considerably with project size and building type, equipment type and commissioning scope. However, total building commissioning costs for commissioning agent services usually range from 0.5% to 1.5% of total construction costs (according to U.S. Department of Energy's Rebuild America Program, written by the Portland Energy Conservation, Inc. (PECI). The National Association of State Facilities Administrators (NASFA) recommends budgeting 1.25 to 2.25% of the total construction costs for total building commissioning agent services.
How to evaluate a price bid:
- Understanding what is and is not included in the cost number is critical
- Don't think of commissioning services as a means to "check a box" on a list
Factors that can affect pricing:
- Facility type (classroom vs. laboratory)
- Phasing 24/7 operations
- Depth of commissioning services
- Level of commissioning desired
- Systems and assemblies chosen to be commissioned